Thursday, August 12, 2010

Leave nothing in the tank!

I have a new found passion. I love spinning (indoor cycling). When I think about it, it's not a new passion at all. I liked it from the first day I did it. I stop going every now and then because, let's face it, life can get a little crazy. Anyway, I am back in class these days spinning like a lab rat. When I am in these classes I sometimes find myself getting dissatisfied, and mostly with myself. I feel like I could push myself more, I could work harder but I never do. I also know I have very strong legs and I could leg press with the best of them but they are not doing me any good in the spinning class.

It dawned on me why. I was afraid. On the micro level I was afraid of getting too tired and not finishing the class but then I was getting upset at the end of the class because I did not give it all I had. Hmmm. I was afraid of failure, because that's what not finishing the class would mean, but I was failing anyway by not getting what I could from the class.

So I made a few adjustments. I moved to the front of the class, where I feel most motivated, I "shopped" around for the instructor that I liked best and I started pushing myself more than I ever have before. When the instructor said add resistance, guess what, I cranked it up. I now leave that class feeling like I left nothing in the tank and it's a blast! The amazing thing is that I never have to worry about having an empty tank for too long as I walk into each class with a full tank of energy and motivation doing something I enjoy.

What are you struggling to push yourself with and what changes could you make to get yourself revving?

2 comments:

  1. Very cool - I like that you are constantly taking on these little things that need improvement and doing something about them. Takes a lot of discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have taken some actions to get some stuff off your list. It's awesome .. I see the difference.

    ReplyDelete