Thursday, July 1, 2010

Redefining it All

Taking “blog license” I changed the HBR article “More Women Manage to Have it All”, and suggest that Women are Redefining it All.  Instead of slogging it out and trying to balance work vs. kids vs. personal interests, I think women are changing their game plan to suit them. A fantastic point in the HBR article "Women are more aware that "having it all" takes planning"! WoW. Actually planning how far you want to take your career, when you want to start a family, your exit strategy and re-entry back into a corporation/ self-owned business, setting goals and objectives for how you want your life to pan out instead of letting it just happen to you. Women are leaving corporate America at twice the rate of men, and most to running their own businesses as women write their own futures. The juggling acts that women may choose to do in raising a family makes career planning and goal setting essential.

Having said that, three things jump out at me:
(1) No plan goes unchanged
(2) I got here without a plan
(3) There are plenty of successful women in corporations

There a many articles written about the first and how you should plan despite life's unexpected and changing circumstances. On the second point, all I can say is it caught up with me! Once I was home, had left the corporate environment without an exit and re-entry strategy and then firmly knew that my boundaries would not let me waltz back into my previous 60 hour week job, I felt stuck! On the last point, I am not taking away from all the women that are powerful, successful and are achieving their career goals in corporations and are happily "Having it All". This is not that blog.

Statistics show that women are the new "power behind the global economy" being highly qualified, educated and ambitious, they can afford to, no they should, take a moment to plan their futures and Redefine what "Having it All" means for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment